Plastic Free February | How To Go Green at Home
Since February is the month to ditch plastic, we thought a good topic to speak about today is going green at home. First, here are three ways to avoid plastic in the month of February.
- -No buying or acquiring new plastic.
- -No cooking with plastic or storing food in plastic.
- -Minimize all other plastic use.
Going green isn't always about spending the greens. You can do a few little things to make you or your home more sustainable, environmentally conscious, and even cost efficient amongst other things. Some ways to do this are:
- -Set your thermostat a few degrees lower in the winter and a few degrees higher in the summer to save on heating and cooling costs.
- -Install compact fluorescent light bulbs when your older incandescent bulbs burn out.
- -Take shorter showers! Save some of that water for the whales. Kidding, but this will lower your water and heating bills too.
- -Plant drought-tolerant native plants in your garden, this will reduce the water you use on your plants.
- -If you can bike or walk to work, do it. It'll burn calories and save gas emissions.
- -Reuse those water-bottles. Believe us, they don't get too dirty after one or two uses.
- -Make cleaning supplies yourself. With a few simple ingredients like baking soda, vinegar, lemon, and soapâ€¦you can be on your way to a more sustainable lysol.
- -Look into some ways of using solar power at home. It could be cheaper than you think.
- -Turn off those lights when you leave the room. Your furniture doesn't have eyes.
- -Save paper and pay bills online. If you cant do this, there's always a phone!